Thursday, January 11, 2007

Wings Pizza N Things - Camarillo

I have had serious hankering for a big ole slice of thin, floppy, New York style pepperoni pizza that has been that they toss in the oven for a couple minutes after you order and you have to fold it over on itself to eat. Seems simple enough, right? Unfortunately, I haven't found a good place in the area to find a nice slice like this. I know some people swear by Tony's Pizzaria, but after a particularly bad experience there, I won't ever be back. Sadly, Sbarro in the mall is the only other option I have found so far.


I thought maybe I had found a place while trying to think of something for lunch the other day. On their website, Wings Pizza N Things in Camarillo promotes their New York style pizza, so I headed out in search of a solid two slices lunch special.

I knew I was in trouble when at 12:15 on a Wednesday there wasn't a soul in the joint and there wasn't a lunch special anywhere to be found. But I pushed on and ordered a medium, New York style pizza with pepperoni and pineapple.

20 minutes later, my pizza finally arrived and it wasn't good. A thick layer of coagulated, fake looking cheese coated the spongy, chewy, bland crust. A smattering of pepperoni laid on top of the cheese like a shirt on an ice rink and the pineapple was dried out and flavorless. I love pizza, even bad pizza, but this I was barely able to stomach (it didn't even reheat well today).

The only good thing about Wings Pizza N Things is their pinball machine. Even though it is WWF themed, it is one of the funnest pinball machines I've played. In the unimaginable amount of time that it took to cook my crappy pizza pie, I played two games. You get five balls for 50 cents and if you screw up and miss a ball, you almost always get a second chance. That's how a pinball machine should be.

Unless you love yourself a killer pinball machine, Wings Pizza N Things should be avoided at all costs. I do love a good pinball machine and it might be enough to lure me back. Please God, let me find a better restaurant with WWF Royal Rumble pinball.

Labels:


4 Comments:

At January 12, 2007 10:08 PM, Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

I was wondering what that place was like. Have you tried the juice place next door to it? I found some good NY style pizza in Thousand Oaks. I can't recall the exact name of the place, but it is right next to Lassen's health food store on T.O. Blvd.

 
At January 18, 2007 11:14 AM, Blogger Peeved Michelle said...

I take back what I said. D'Amore's is the name of that place and it is not good. We had a pizza from there last night. Hard crust, spicy sauce, blech. I don't know why I remembered it so differently. I do like Dagwood's in Santa Monica, though, and I have eaten there recently, so no fuzzy memory is making me think it is better than it actually is.

 
At January 21, 2007 11:30 PM, Blogger Brandon said...

Michelle - Thanks for the update, luckily I didn't go out looking for it. I'm sure there is NY style pizza somewhere local and I'll find it sooner or later.

I made a mistake, I was in Berkeley last weekend and didn't go to one of the many NY Style joints that litter college towns like that. I now know of three supposedly great Berkeley pizza shops that I wish I would have tried.

 
At February 17, 2007 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anyone is looking for good New York pizza go to Tonys on thompson in Ventura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home